Days 5 and 6 - Comfort to Kerrville-Schreiner Park

I decided to take it easy since the ride to Comfort was quite hard. Kerrville is less than 20 miles from Comfort. I left at about 3pm and reached at about 6. Thankfully there were no hills! Here's the ride and Kerrville in pics:

I missed that when I arrived in the dark. Wish every place in the world could say that :)


This time it's a skunk



Guadalupe River

Guadalupe River on the right
I am using wifi at a place called Brew Dawgz. And they are playing Battameez Dil - a Bollywood song. I did not expect that in friggin Kerrville! Rotfl. (To clarify: they played only one Bollywood song.)

I ordered a Cinnamon Horchata Ale at the bar. A drunk man, Anthony, sitting next to me asked me where I was from and what I was doing in Kerrville. I told him about my journey. He offered $2. His girlfriend, Rebecca, said to him that I won't be able to buy anything with $2. Anthony retorted, "It'll buy him water," and instructed me to put the bills in my pocket. I obliged. Another rotfl moment!

Then I saw this at the bar table. The manager told me that it was an organisation instituted by a man whose (19-year-old?) niece committed suicide because she got pregnant. She tried to contact him to talk to him. He did not have the time. So he feels guilty. A lady commented that suicide is a major problem in "their" society.


The manager, like Penny, said that I would meet a lot of nice people, that the news is not to be believed. I hope she's right.

I leave tomorrow for Lost Maples State Park. 50 miles and a lot of hills ahead.

UPDATE: Later in the night, two friends, Tristan and Keegan, camped next to my spot. They were setting up their tent and making bonfire. That woke me up. They're taking time off from work to make a road trip to the Grand Canyon (by car). They were quite curious about India. We went fishing in the dark. I held a fishing rod for the first time. However, we didn't catch any fish. We spoke at length about the modern education system and its pitfalls. Both of them dropped out of regular high school. For their senior year, they went to a school where students could set their own pace for their preferred courses of study and the teachers did not lecture. I wish there were schools like that everywhere. They now work at Whole Foods. People here are lucky that they can secure jobs without college degrees with wages that are high enough to support themselves. In India, unless your family has enough money, dropping out of school would mean very low income jobs.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you made it to Kerrvile. Tomorrow you will curse me again. Good Luck and take it slow. Start early. Tomorrow is the last warm day for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...No, I did not want to curse you any more. I chickened out of the elevated path :p

      Delete
  2. If you get bored you can read my blog. raymoorerides.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely would...even if I am not bored!

      Delete
  3. Just read all your adventures!! Good luck brotha! Glad your journey is going the way it is and youve already encountered so many nice people and help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bro! Not sure who you are but I can guess we must have met on the road.

      Delete